Saturday, May 31, 2008

*flails arms wildly*

Hehe... I've taken up calligraphy again. I learned in primary school (which is more random the more I think about it, and quite medieval really - let's teach all of the ten year olds how to write in Gothic hand, because that's a life skill they're really going to find indispensable....) and have done a little bit now and then ever since. But now I decided it was time to get back into it again. Might learn some new styles. I bought a new pen, so now I have to break it in and get back into practice. Prepare for aching, inkstained hands!




Truest thing ever. This photo is funnier if you can make out the title of the book...

Anyway, the past week has been... well, yeah...
Long story short, I am now going to bury myself up my ears in creative outlets in order to pretend that the rest of the world does not actually exist...

Still chugging away at my Woodland Shawl. It turns out the shawl has magic customer attracting powers. I tried to knit some of it at work last night, and every time I picked the bloody thing up a customer would come into the shop. This wouldn't have been weird, except that it was 10:30pm. Normally after about 9, customers are sporadic indeed. Magic shawl!

Actually, I have two stories about magical knitwear. I lost my iPod on Wednesday. It was in my bag when I went into the medical library (yes, I'm not a med student, but I've been writing a research paper on abortion law, and it's been taking me to all manner of libraries), and when I got off the tram later, it was no longer in my bag. Turned my bag inside out several times: no iPod. I figured I must have dropped it somewhere (I am clumsy at the best of times, and this week I've been under so much stress that it's a wonder I didn't leave any vital organs at Flinders Street station), so I went to uni to ask at the various lost and found desks if anyone had handed it in. I figured the chances of this were slim, so I needed all the help I could get. I put on my lucky socks (stripey!) to aid matters (yeah, I'm lame, shut up). Asked at all the desks, no cigar. :(

So, dejected and very annoyed at myself, I went off to study in the law library. Several hours of trawling through journal articles later, I went to pack up my laptop and what did I find? The Pod returns! Turns out my laptop case had a pocket that I never knew existed (!) and the iPod had wormed its way into it. Don't ask me how, and I was too pleased to care (albeit a little sheepish as well). Anyway, I attribute this reappearance to the socks - I'm quite convinced that if it hadn't been for the socks, then the poor little pod would now be languishing in some other students bag, being violated by someone else listening to my bad music! Yes, I know that's illogical, but I don't care :P


Here's a totally gratuitous picture of my Garter mitt, with a lovely background of my disgustingly cluttered desk (because apparently having one box of matches to hand is simply insufficient... I don't even smoke... I'm just a candle addict). And you can see my pin tin on the left: its an old 'Erinmore Flake' tobacco tin with a jaunty yellow and red lid, and I have no idea where I got it from; I've had it forever and ever. Though mainly the photo is here just just because it's the first picture I've been able to take of these mitts that really shown how nicely the yarn-dyeing went (well, I was pleased with it anyway) - it makes me happy just to look at those lovely blues and greens.
Anyway, off to go and hide under an enormous pile of enviro bags, wishing I had some time to relax. Instead, I get to work for nine hours today, and fourteen hours tomorrow (yep, fourteen hours, a shift at each of my jobs). Fun...

No comments: