Thursday, May 1, 2008

A brief tangent, and the fabled socks

Well, as previously mentioned, I was particularly pleased with how my attempts at yarn dyeing came out. So pleased that despite already having a million and one projects going, I felt the irresistible need to make something out of said yarn. Thankfully, it turned out to be such a quick project that it was finished in three days, and therefore it doesn't really mean that I'm disgraceful and choc full of procrastination for finishing the other things. Really. I swear. Anyway, behold:
*cue Mr Burns voice*: Excellent!

The pattern is Garter Stitch Mitts by Ysolda Teague, and what an awesome pattern it is too. Deceptively simple, but really great result. Reading over the pattern I didn't really get how the thumb was going to work, but low and behold, it did! I got to play with short rows as well, which is good, because I need practice with them. These were so quick, easy and good that I think I might make a pair for Richard's birthday (in two weeks time), though perhaps not in such a loud colour...

Sigh... I still love the colours. These mitts do not go with anything that I own (possibly with the exception of my enviro shopping bags, as pointed out by the man in the supermarket this morning), but I love them dearly anyway. And they keep my hands toasty warm... I made the slightly larger size, and I'm now thinking that I should have made the smaller, but they're still fine. Also, they make my hands look hilariously large in the above picture. It's the perspective I think; I'm not a scary mega-handed person. In fact, they're quite small for someone of my height, especially given how huge my feet are (Dad refers to them as my 'tiny, starving, emaciated, artist hands' - thanks Dad).



Here be close up, so we can ogle my eye-stinging yarn. Pretty colours (yes, I have a somewhat perverse idea of pretty)! I was pleasantly surprised at the relative lack of pooling, actually. I am very pleased with how the yarn knitted up, and am planning to celebrate by dyeing some more yarn this evening after I get home from my Evidence class.

Oh, and here is photographic proof that the Hedera socks do indeed fit my overgrown feet:

Of all the bad photos I took, this was the best. What does that say about my shaky-arse hands?
But yes, the socks do fit. If anything, they're a touch loose around the ankle, but meh, I'm happy nonetheless. I've just started on the second one, and I always seem to do the second sock quicker for some reason, so it shouldn't be too long until they're done.
Now, I'm off to read about Evidence law and plot colour schemes for my second dyeing attempt.

No comments: